Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ruffly Key Fob TutOrial!!

Ruffly Key Fob

...oh yeah!

IMG_5161.jpg picture by kara-tootie

Isn't it adorable?  Now you can make one too!

Let's begin!!  We are making a regular sized key fob that fits nicely on your wrist.  

First, gather up some scrap fabric that you have neatly saved, or if you are like me, shoved in a big bag and hidden in a corner under my desk....where NO ONE can see it! ;)...

IMG_5139.jpg picture by kara-tootie

Cut your first piece of fabric (this will be your bottom piece) 4.5 X 10"...


IMG_5140.jpg

Now take that piece, iron it flat first. Then in 1/2, then in 1/2 again...

IMG_5142.jpg

Take your second piece and cut it 2.5 X 10.  Fold over each side about 1/2 an inch on each side, so that the pieces meet in the middle...

IMG_5145.jpg

Place it over your bottom piece...

IMG_5146.jpg

Now your ruffle piece...What I did was take a scrap that was about 12" long by 3, and I serged it down to where the total width became about 3/4"...

IMG_5149.jpg

Now you will ruffle or pleat your fabric...

IMG_5150.jpg picture by kara-tootie

iron it down flat...

IMG_5151.jpg

pin it...

IMG_5152.jpg

sew down each side...

IMG_5154.jpg



IMG_5155.jpg

Fold over top edge and sew across so that there are no ugly frays...

IMG_5156.jpg

Before I get to the next step, please note that I am NOT a professional.  I am not even sure that I am using the right tool! I simply headed to my garage, looked for a plier looking tool, covered my key fob hardware, with my painting towel, and squeezed!

**Please make sure that your fingers are completely out of the way, and most importantly, be responsible with your husband's tools and put them back where you found them, so that he is not looking everywhere for 1/2 an hour to find them...just saying!

IMG_5157-1.jpg picture by kara-tootie

A simple squeeze, and we have made a beautiful key fob!


IMG_5160.jpg





Come back on tomorrow for some fun She said She said and Thursday for another TUT ;)DON'T miss Friday...we have a special surprise!

Hugs and Blessings,
Ingrid










7 comments :

  1. That is a great tutorial! Even I understood. Great shots!

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome..Great gift idea!! Where did you find the hardware for these at???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to find your easy shop and blog! Thanks for the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies...and if you are lucky your husbands may carry the fob for a week before making you change them out (we share keys) urg :) @Kristi I found them over on Etsy :) @Wifemomwoman check back to the shop...I am adding some FUN stuff!! Happy crafting!

    Hugs,
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful key chain. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment at karatootie! Your comments light up my day! Big Hugs! Ingrid

LinkWithin